- THE ROLE – OVERVIEW
To develop the London/Southern Office in the Rail, Commercial, Residential and Leisure Sectors providing Project Management, Quantity Surveying and CDM Principal Designer services throughout the UK.
- To deliver and develop project management and quantity surveying work in the above areas encompassing commercial and public sector bodies building on the strong work flow already in place for the business in the Transport sector.
- Develop and maintain their existing Network and Contacts whilst raising the profile of the Business in the above sectors.
- To secure new business and forge successful client relationships, whilst developing their market share in these sectors.
- To be a catalyst for growth within the organisation and support service delivery in these sectors using a mix of existing employee’s and by identifying any new recruitment opportunities to assist in the development of the business.
- Work with the Board of Directors to identify and develop new opportunities for the Business to enhance the long term strength of the business.
- Playing an instrumental role in delivering existing and winning new work as well as developing business opportunities, the candidate will ensure the quality and timeliness of service delivery to clients, acting as primary interface to help build client confidence.
- Providing effective and efficient administration of project accounts, management of internal job costings in relation to the fee and services and resource requirements.
- Leading the team, the successful candidate will enable strong motivation, engagement and high performance / technical quality generally, mentoring and coaching more junior colleagues.
- To build on the company’s reputation and develop the business nationwide and internationally where opportunities are available.
- Our client is looking to employ someone with a track record & reputation in the sector at a Director level or with the potential to move up into this role.
- To employ a client facing work winner, leader, fee generator and deliverer (the person will need to deliver to be credible).
- There is an existing client base within the organisation in the Transport, Civil Engineering, Private Residential and Leisure sectors as a starting position which will enable the person to work and develop existing opportunities available for the organisation which are being restricted due to lack of Director level resource in the South of England. However the person will be expected to develop work from existing clients and develop new clients in the new sectors for the business
- KEY RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE
The organisation has developed over the last ten years with organic growth leading the company to quadruple in size. The organisation has managed to maintain momentum during the difficult economic times by focusing on key ‘recession proof’ sectors and is seeking to expand into other regions in the coming years. The business has an objective to grow as markets are improving with the person appointed to be key in assisting the Directors in meeting their objective and sharing in the success of the business.
Our client has now identified the need to bring in region a specific specialist at Director level to assist in managing and developing their planned expansion. As a Director the person will be able to co-ordinate the activities of the service and focus on maintaining quality, increasing market share, targeting expansion and growth, increasing turnover and profitability.
A key part of the role will be to work closely with the existing Directors and service delivery team based in the Liverpool and Manchester offices with a target of developing an office in London/South of England to deliver on the new opportunities developed in the sectors targeted by the business.
Also, the role will involve working closely with the Directors to further develop the business over the long term by inputting into the corporate business plan, seeking new areas and opportunities for growth in other sectors and the further expansion of the business and its office locations.
The main accountabilities of the role will include:
- Developing a medium to long-term strategy and vision for the development of a local PM/QS service feeding into the overall business plan.
- Delivering growth in revenue with target clients
- Be a member of the management team and contribute to overall strategy
- Developing and leading the team towards achievement of the long-term strategy and vision
- Responsible for the profit and loss for team in the target sectors/regions.
- Performance and net profit improvement through innovative and efficient service delivery
The core activities undertaken will include:
- To manage and lead the growth of the business in the chosen sectors
- Originating and delivering sales wins within the chosen sectors
- Building relevant client accounts and generating repeat business – from new and existing clients
- Continued integration of the services provided by the team and those of other parts of the company
- Effective communication with, business to assist in landing appointments for the business
- Balancing work winning and business development with delivery
- Resource planning and management to ensure effective delivery
- Ensuring quality delivery through monitoring and QA processes
- Control of finances, invoicing and forecasting relating to the chosen sectors
- Building market-leading capability and developing services to meet sector propositions
- Specification of training and development needs to align with service delivery
- People care for the team including setting performance and development objectives through the appraisal system and development of junior personnel
- Strategic recruitment
- Development of the company in all business and social transactions as a leading services and solutions provider in the market
- PERSON SPECIFICATION
In order to achieve success in the role the person appointed will need to meet the majority of these criteria in terms of skills and experience:
- A demonstrable track record of providing Project Management and/or Quantity Surveying within the market sectors but specifically the Rail sector.
- Member of a relevant and recognised professional body e.g. RICS, CIOB APM etc
- Reputation and established track record within the industry
- Strong personal relationships and client relationships that will generate revenue
- A demonstrable track record of business growth
- Proven ability to lead a business unit and shape strategy and delivery through others
- UK wide experience and expertise (useful but not essential)
- A team building/working ethos
Personal qualities needed for the role include:
- Excellent communication skills, spoken and written
- Developed leadership style
- Be approachable, flexible and able to treat all team members as equals
- Strong influencing skills to lead through natural diplomacy, internally and externally
- A pro-active self-starter, enthusiastic, resourceful and able to adapt readily to change
- Presentable with the ability to gain trust and respect and fit into our client’s way of working
- Strong motivation with natural drive and innovative flair
- A clear-thinking approach showing attention to detail and good organisational skills
- A team builder who can develop and maintain good relationships and gain the confidence of other professionals both within the company and outside
- The ability to advise and guide colleagues in a supportive, interactive fashion ensuring that programmes are agreed, targets set and deadlines achieved
This role will give the opportunity to develop and strengthen a business which has great potential for growth, improving turnover and profitability.
Success in this role could lead to additional responsibility within our client’s business, as the company continues its confident expansion through organic growth and potential acquisition.
The person will have the opportunity to develop with the business and share in the success they jointly create with rewards and equity of the larger business available for assisting the business growth to set targets.
- WHY WORK FOR OUR CLIENT
Our client is well respected within their field of expertise with a large proportion of its business being through repeat work. Staff retention and satisfaction is extremely high. The organisation is professional without being confined to the restrictions and di-rigour of the a large PQS practice.
The Directors take a flexible approach towards management of staff and delivery of services supporting the principles of ‘upside down’ management, supporting and encouraging staff to deliver and excellent service whilst maintaining high quality of standards through training, guidance and mentoring.
The business has been founded on core values of client focus, dedication and excellence of delivery.
- There is no company politics and they truly operate as one business
- There is a great culture in the business, the foundations of which are great communication and the committed and hands-on style of all the Directors
- There is a very low churn rate
- Key accounts and excellence within their chosen sectors are very much the focus of the business
- They support personal development and the rewards for excellent performance are equity which is proven with existing personnel
- Encourage and support social interaction with Clients and fellow employee’s
- Understand the requirements of striking a healthy work/life balance but not to the detriment of service delivery
In summary it’s a company that is well respected by its peers, clients and most of all its employee’s, looking for future growth and expansion for the benefit of Directors and Employee’s a like.
For an initial informal and confidential discussion please contact our Director, Steve Rossiter on 07756656930.